Hello, hope you are having a good day or may be not!!! You are confused and frustrated about configuring two routers in your home network (LAN). If you are facing this problem. Just sit back and relax because this tutorial will guide you on how to fix this problem.
Somehow I have got two PTCL routers from the PTCL. Both the routers are ADSL + WIFI routers as shown in the following figures.
New router: SLIM
Old router: FAT
Now the SLIM router is my primary router i.e. the PHONE LINE after DSL SPLITTER comes to this router and all the devices in my home connects to this one via WIFI or a CAT5/6 cable. Now, I have another spare router (FAT) and I want to use this router in another room because I am not getting good signals with my SLIM router. Also, I want this FAT router to be a part of my existing network.
To Install / Configure a PTCL’s ADSL + WIFI router (FAT) in the existing network because we want to install the NEW router in another room to get GOOD WIFI SIGNALS.
1. First you need to find out the network address of your ROUTER that is connected to the INTERNET in my case its the SLIM router. SLIM router is on the “192.168.1.1”, most of the PTCL routers are assigned this private IP address. You can also verify it by typing “192.168.1.1” address in your browser, it will ask you USERNAME + PASSWORD to login. Afterwards you will be shown to a screen similar to following:
2. Now, the second step is to find the network address of our FAT router. Just like the SLIM router it will also be running on the IP address “192.168.1.1”. To connect with this router. I would recommed the following steps:
- TURN OFF your SLIM router
- POWER UP this FAT router
- Connect you PC/Laptop with this FAT router via WIFI or NETWORKING CABLE (CAT 5/6) [ i used the networking cable method]
- LOG into the ADMIN PAGE of this FAT router by typing “192.168.1.1” into your browser
- A similar screen like previous router’s admin page will be shown as shown in the following picture
3. Third step involves configuring this FAT router. So, that we can adjust it in our existing network.
- In the Advanced Setup tab click on the LAN button
- Now change the IP address so that we don’t have any conflict with our SLIM router
- I will be assigning ip address of 192.168.1.100 to this FAT router
- And after this you need to DISABLE the DHCP server
- After this go to the Routing tab and click on Default Gateway button
- Check the Use Default Gateway IP address and assign the IP address of your primary router, in my case it will be 192.168.1.1
- Save settings and reboot your router
- Following figures shows these steps
4. After the restart, this FAT router will be availble to access on the “192.168.1.100” IP address.
5. Now, the next step involves configuring the WIFI of this WIFI router. Give this FAT router a diffrent SSID (name). In my case I am giving it the name of “Free Internet”, you can do whatever you want. If you want to protect your WIFI, you can go to the SECURITY settings and put a password too.
6. Next, you need to physically connect both the WIFI routers via a LAN CABLE (cat6).
Place this FAT router in your desired location / floor.
7. Next, step is to connect with the FAT router via “WIFI”. If you look at the WIFI connections in your operating system in my case its windows. “Free Internet” will be shown.
8. Connect with this “Free Internet”.
9. You will be connected to “Free Internet” but you will not be able to browse/surf any website. Its because of the fact that you have TURNED OFF THE DHCP and your system has not been assigned any IP. To fixed this issue, you will have to manually assign IP Address, Default Gateway, Netmask etc. settings as shown below
10. Save settings and “Disable” and then “Enable” your wireless adapter so that settings gets in.
11. After this, you will be successfully able to use INTERNET from this FAT router. Hurrah !!!
12. Please remember that you will have to do manual configuration of devices (laptop, mobile etc.) that will be connected to FAT router. Else, it won’t work.
Feel free to ask questions if you have any !!!
If you have different routers just remember that you just need to turn off the “DHCP” on the second router and give the second router default gateway IP of the primary router. Thats it.