Hello, today’s article is about configuring your PTCL ADSL WiFi Router for blocking a “website / URL Link”. The PTCL ADSL WiFi Router I am using comes with a lot of features and security settings. This article is about configuring/using the “Url Filter” feature.
The advantage of blocking on PTCL ADSL WiFi Router is that the website / URL Link will not be accessible to any device (PC, Laptop, Mobile phone, Tablet etc.) present in the network. So, you don’t have to block it one each device or use some software firewall, just add it to the router and its blocked for all the users inside the network.
Note: Please note you can’t block HTTPS webistes/URL Links on your PTCL ADSL WiFi Router. Only HTTP websites will be blocked. If the “green secure” bar/words doesn’t show up in the browser it means the website is on HTTP. Most of the websites are now running on HTTPS.
Current Network Scenario
For this article I am using the following PTCL ADSL WiFi Router
1 Login to the ADMIN WEB PAGE of your router by typing “192.168.1.1” in your web browser. Type the username and password which is written on the backside of your router or on the box of router.
2. On successful username and password, following page will show up
3. Next click on “Advance Setup” then “Parental Control” and then “Url Filter”. Following page will show up.
4. Click on “Add” button and a new web page will show up. In the “URL Address” column type the complete web address of a website you want to block for this example I am blocking Microsoft’ BING website (http://www.bing.com). In “Port Number” type 80. And then click “Apply/Save” button.
5. Make sure “Exclude” is selected
6. Now try to open the website on your WEB Browser of cellphone or laptop or tablet etc. and it should not open, as shown below
Note: User’s in network can still bypass the Url filter security feature by using a PROXY WEBSITE to access the blocked website / URL Link.